Guru – gu·ru (gŏŏ-rōō’) – A recognized leader in a field: the guru of web design. A trusted counselor and adviser; a mentor. Source: dictionary.com
Welcome to JonathanMeersman.com – the web site for Jonathan Meersman, labeled by many of his students as the Web Design Guru. So, who is Jonathan Meersman anyway?
Jonathan Meersman’s Professional Life
- Web and Digital Media Design Instructor, Milwaukee Area Technical College (2001 – Present)
- Founder / Past President, Internet Startup HostingSpot.com (2003-2008)
- Public Speaker / Corporate Trainer
- eBusiness Consultant
- Web Developer
Jonathan Meersman’s Soccer Life
- US Youth Soccer Region II Championships Chair (2016 – Present)
- US Youth Soccer Region II Referee Administrator (2009 – 2016)
- National Referee Instructor, U.S. Soccer (2011 – Present)
- Wisconsin Soccer Hall of Fame Member (2016 Class)
- U.S. Soccer William Schofield Memorial Award Recipient (2015)
- Wisconsin State Director of Referee Instruction (2000-2008)
- Former Professional Referee (State Referee Emeritus)
- Published Columnist & Contributing Author, Referee Magazine
Jonathan Meersman’s Bio
Jonathan Meersman earned his master of business administration degree in 2004, with a focus in eBusiness, from University of Phoenix. He earned his bachelor’s degree in geography in 1995, with an emphasis on computer cartography, from University of Cincinnati. As a student in the Cincinnati Initiative for Teacher Education (CITE) program, while others in his program completed traditional electives Jonathan took courses in the College of Education. That helped pave the way for his future career path in education.
In 2003 Jonathan started his own eBusiness as a way of implementing the skills and knowledge he was acquiring in his MBA program. HostingSpot.com is a web hosting company specializing in servicing members of the educational community and non-profit organizations, though it quickly grew to service the needs of many individuals and small to medium-sized businesses. HostingSpot.com was sold to eSoto Solutions at the end of 2008.
Jonathan began his tenure as a full time faculty member at MATC, in the eCommerce/Web Administration Department, in 2001. In 2005, he received an additional professional assignment under the Office of Curriculum and Instructional Support, serving as the distance education technology instructional support coordinator for the Business and Information Technology Division. Jonathan has served as a facilitator for MATC’s Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP), internally assessing the college as part of the accreditation renewal process through the Higher Learning Commission (formerly NCA). He has also participated in the college’s Quality Review Program (QRP), internally assessing the curriculum of the eCommerce/Web Administration Program to ensure future viability of the program. Jonathan has served on the Curriculum Committee and the Summer School Committee for the Business and Information Technology Division. He has also managed a DACUM (Design A Curriculum) process to develop new program offerings and managed the creation of MATC’s Web Designer Technical Diploma, which began in 2008.
Partnering with a major textbook publisher and computer manufacturer, Jonathan participated on MATC’s Mobile Learning Project; a research project that investigated the impact of mobile computing on education, and developed ways to make digital content readily available for students utilizing such tools. This project led to the development of the Advanced Technical Certificate in Mobile Commerce. Jonathan has received accolades from the president of the college for coordinating high-profile speakers, including the president of Monster.com and the worldwide marketing director of Kodak, to give presentations to students.
Jonathan has developed and/or taught the following courses (not all in the same semester):
- iPhone/iPad (iOS) Application Development – VICOM-163
- Responsive Web Design – VICOM-126
- Social Media Marketing – EBUS-118
- Content Management Systems – VICOM-124
- Introduction to Digital Media – VICOM-150
- Web Site Design (with Dreamweaver and Photoshop) – VICOM-123
- Web Development with HTML/CSS – VICOM-128
- Database-Driven Web Development – PHP/MySQL – VICOM-162
- Web Development for Mobile Devices – VICOM-126 (old name)
- Interactive Design for Multimedia – VICOM-152
- Emerging Technologies – ITSUP-150
- Electronic Commerce – MKTG-118 (deprecated)
- eBusiness Principles – MKTG-118 (deprecated)
- Database-Driven Web Development – ASP.NET/SQL – VICOM-124 (deprecated)
- Commerce-Based Web Development – VICOM-124 (deprecated)
In addition, Jonathan has delivered numerous presentations at national conferences, seminars, workshops, clinics, courses, and other special events. His public speaking & consulting endeavors have taken him all over the United States.
Prior to his position with MATC, Jonathan worked as an eLead systems designer in the Learning Solutions division of GE Healthcare (formerly GE Medical Systems). He managed various multimedia projects in the areas of desktop publishing, video and television production, and web site development and management. His final project with GE incorporated all of these skills in the design of web site that brought training video clips to the Internet in a database-driven environment, sold to customers by subscription using proprietary methods that earned the company a patent. Using GE’s Six Sigma initiative, Jonathan designed an automated web publishing process reducing labor by 62% and manual steps by 72%. This saved his department an estimated $250,000 per year. It was a great experience, but his heart led him back to the classroom.
Jonathan is the Chair of the US Youth Soccer Region II Championships and served on the National Championships Committee. He was previously the Region II Referee Administrator for US Youth Soccer. He served as Wisconsin’s State Director of Instruction for the United States Soccer Federation’s National Program for Referee Development from 2000-2008. He managed a staff of 60 classroom instructors and was responsible for the training and development of the instructors who teach referees in the classroom. The organization conducts approximately 175 clinics and workshops every year. Jonathan served as a columnist for Referee Magazine, a nationwide sports magazine, for over seven years. He was a contributing author to three books, published by the same organization.